Baildon 19-17 Pythons 1st XV

Pythons frustrated by Baildon

Harrogate Pythons travelled to Baildon for this top 5 clash, looking to make it 3 wins on the trot. Ollie Wheatley made the first carry into contact but a stray Gate boot gave possession to Baildon and their stand-off pinned Gate back with a raking kick. Hugh Tatlow won the lineout and scrum half Ivan Drane made a half break but his offload was dropped and Baildon went wide to open the scoring in the corner which was converted from the touchline. 7-0 4 mins. Gate responded well when Wheatley linked with Harry Parrish and the rampaging Tatlow broke 2 tackles but his offload was forward. The Gate pack heaved Baildon off their own scrum ball and Baildon conceded a penalty but the throw was not straight. Debutant Tim Evans made his first of many strong carries which was ended by a high tackle not spotted by the referee.

From an attacking scrum, a clever cross kick was taken by the winger but Steve Youngson defended well and Drane cleared the danger. Another Evans break from under his own posts was stopped on the Gate 22 and Gate were penalised for holding on. Baildon’s No10 stepped up and increased the lead to 10-0 on25 mins. A Baildon clearance was well returned by Parrish but he was injured at the breakdown and replaced by Ned Rutty. Gate’s backs were now finding some rhythm and Jed Carr spotted a gap to put Youngson away down the wing. The ball was transferred via James Audsley-Beck to the other wing where Rutty was stopped just short. The referee awarded Gate a 5m scrum and the pack drove Baildon backwards, their front row stood up and the referee awarded a penalty try. 10-7 32 mins. Baildon’s no10 was then flattened after kicking the ball, the referee awarded the penalty where the ball landed and their No10 added to the lead. 13-7 34 mins. Another good run from Carr saw him link with Tatlow who was stopped short and Drane picked up but was held up over the line. Again the Baildon scrum was sent into reverse and collapsed for the referee to award a second penalty try. 13-14 36 mins. More indiscipline at the restart hoverer led to a long penalty attempt from the Baildon No10 which sailed through the posts to make the half time score Baildon 16 Pythons 14.

The second period started with Baildon pressing again but strong defence by Dan Harland and Dan Shortman kept them at bay. Evans broke tackles again from his own 22 and a ferocious hand off on the Baildon full back created space but the support couldn’t get there in time. A strong Matt Leach drive and good Youngson kick led to and attacking Gate scrum but a poor pass from the base saw the move break down. Baildon attacked again and a Will Butler knock on was judged deliberate and he received a yellow card. Gate survived with 14 men, and a great tackle from Drane led to a penalty. Max Sharp stepped up to regain the lead for Gate. 16-17 75 mins. Baildon attacked from the restart and their pick and drivers were been knocked backwards with big tackles from Sam Beagrie and Harland. They tried again and this time the runner was driven backwards by Tatlow. The referee, however, has spotted a high tackle and awarded a penalty. The Baildon No10 stepped up to calmly restore Baildon’s lead from the 10m line. 19-17 78 mins. Gate were then pressed deep in their own half and could not breakdown the Baildon defence to leave the final score Baildon 19 Pythons 17.

This was a frustrating day at the office for the Python’s who will be looking to cut the missed tackles and penalties for the visit of Aireborough to Station View next weekend.

Leave a comment