Saturday 8th August saw the Harrogate Pythons RUFC family gather for the first social of the year to celebrate the award winners for 2019/20 Season.
With current COVID 19 restrictions in place, social distancing was the order of the day and the support and service of clubhouse manager Anne Mitchell. Anne’s team together with the good weather, meant that over 70 players, member’s family and friends attended.
Chairman Julian Tatlow opened proceedings and outlined the club’s provisional plans for the coming season. He then handed over to Director of Rugby Mike Ruthen for a review of the past season of both 1st and 2nd team’s campaigns.
The main presentations followed, with each presenter outlining the criteria as well as how the recipient had been selected and the winners were as follows:
- Sandy Dunlop – Player’s choice for the 1st XV Player of the Year. After a very close vote this award was presented to Sandy by Head Coach Dan Bird.
- Sandy Dunlop – 1st XV Captains Pick presented by Hugh Tatlow; making Sandy the first player to receive both awards in the same season. A true reflection of his contribution.
- Simon Williams – Player’s choice for the 2nd XV Player of the Year presented by Coach Al Cawkwell-Brown to Simon who recently joined us from local rivals Ripon RUFC.
- Andy Lambert – 2nd XV Captains Pick presented by Ollie Davies recognising Andy’s 110% commitment throughout this year.
- Will Butler – Best Newcomer receiving the Jim Saynor Award from Head Coach Dan Bird; recognising Will’s return to rugby this last season.
- Peter Jesper – Clubman of the Season presented by Chairman Julian Tatlow for new committee man Peter’s work as Commercial Chair with sponsors and on the Club’s new website.
Each winner responded and used the opportunity to deliver their thanks and receive the customary banter in return. The afternoon progressed into the evening giving members and supporters an opportunity to catch up.
The outside venue proved perfect for this socially distanced event with a visit from the local Police giving reassurance to all that the event followed COVID guidelines. Chairman Julian Tatlow is very grateful to all players, coaches and committee members for their participation.
It was another great afternoon for Harrogate Pythons RUFC.