Airborough 8-57 Pythons 1st XV

9 Tries puts The Pythons back in contention

The Pythons visited bottom of the league Aireborough determined to gain 5 league points. “Aire may be bottom but they deliver some strong performances especially at home”, said Coach Bird. “We need a strong performance against this well coached side”, he told his players. Kicking off with the wind, Jed Carr quickly began dictating play with penetrating runs in mid field. Secure ball through the phases saw Ed Challis outpace the defence to score a 30m opening try in the corner, 0-5, 3 mins. Dominance in all set pieces and Hugh Tatlow secures a 10m lineout setting Bailey Bromberg on a darting run.

Stopped just short of the lune, quick ball to James Audsley-Beck puts him under the posts. Max Sharp with the extras 0-12, 5 mins. Aireborough began to mount a comeback halted with aggressive tackling from Sandy Dunlop and Luke Price-Gerrard. A perfectly weighted kick/pass from Carr gave sharp a run in from 70m outpacing the home defence. Quick thinking as the ball blows over for the conversion and Sharp calmly drop kicks from the touch line. 0-19, 10 mins. An infringement at the breakdown puts Aire on the score board 3-19. The Pythons front row of Steve Beckett, Dunlop and John Ward were dominating the set scrums. Quick ball through the hands and Ollie Myers uses a change in direction and pace to touch down under the posts from 30m. Sharp added the extras 3-26, 20 mins.

Continued pressure kept the home side pinned in their own half. Sharp charges down an attempted clearance kick and gathers to score from 40m, converts his own try 3-33, 25 mins. Strong running from Price – Gerrard and quick ball gives Bromberg the ball, stepping the first defender and using pace to dot down from 50m. Sharp once again with the extras 3-40, 30 mins. An attacking 5m scrum disintegrates under pressure from The Pythons front row with Audsley-Back feeding Challis to power over under the posts. Sharp kicks again, 3 – 47 half time.

The home side begin the second half with some direct and aggressive play. The Pythons defence held firm through successive phases with Leach stealing the ball over the line. A 5m line out saw Aire revert to their strength of past seasons with a clean catch and drive, crossing the line 8-47, 50 mins. Aire continued to put pressure on The Pythons line but the strong defence held firm and drove the gain line back into the Aire half. A casual clearance kick was collected by Steve Youngson racing 40m to dot down in the corner, 8 – 52, 70 mins. Continued Python’s pressure kept the home side in their 22. Several chances were created but frustratingly missed until a deft offload from Sharp put Ollie Wheatley over in the corner. 8 – 57 Full Time.

The Pythons face Wibsey at The Jim Saynor Ground next on 15th February.

Leave a comment